Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Where Do Writers Write Best?



At my age, I should be able to write anything, anywhere. Truth is, I am most comfortable and prolific in a lounge chair in my backyard with a clipboard full of papers and a pen. Yes, I still write the old-fashioned way, by hand.

Although I find my fingers tire more easily these days, my thoughts are still quickened by the freedom of the open air and its lack of electronic distractions.

The drone of traffic in the distance is music to my ears, and my eyes enjoy the occasional diversion of the Great-Tailed Grackles, White-Winged Doves and the odd sparrow, finch or wren that visit the feeders and roam contentedly among the now-dead blades of grass in my yard.

The chattering of squirrels may occupy my mind for a moment as they skitter up and down the trunk of the old pecan tree, but I’m soon drawn back to whatever world I’m dwelling in depending on the manuscript in front of me.

This winter I find this idyllic situation eludes me frequently, and I cherish the few days it is warm enough and sunny enough to embrace Earth Mother and Sky Father on their current terms.

Neighbors must think me strange, sitting there in the lounge chair layered in a fleece hoody, quilt down jacket and gloves, wrapped in my favorite out door blanket (it has a unicorn on it), my gloved hands holding a pen with precarious purchase, writing on the clipboard held in my lap.

Not too many neighbors know what I do, and the one who does, still thinks me strange. I’m sure the rest think I’m an eccentric old lady they should avoid.

Oh, did I mention the occasional vulture soaring overhead, buoyed by zephyrs high in the air, circling overhead? I find it oddly peaceful, even though I know it’s looking for something dead to eat. But then, I write horror, so I guess it’s not that odd.

Yes, I’m watching one now. I guess it forgot to go south with its fellows. I am enjoying today’s 50 + degrees outside. I’m told tomorrow will barely top 40 and turn windy, so I probably won’t venture out.

But today, so far, I’ve written three haiku, this blog entry, and I’m about to pull out my current manuscript: The Chronicles of Acqueria: The Early Years, my YA prequel to Blood Moon Treachery. I need to finish it before NaNoEdMo in March, when I frantically edit before polishing and publishing.

Before I go, let me ask, where do my readers who are also writers write best? What causes your creative juices to flow? How are you coping this winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment