Thursday, April 1, 2021

Spring Springs

 

April 2021 Blog


Well that worked!

 

My Choice: A Haiku

This day, to do as

I choose, is a rarity;

I choose to enjoy.

by Ann Wilmer-Lasky

 

One of those rare days I can do what I please. It pleases me. So, I’m writing this blog to announce the arrival of my newest Audible.com book, “The Seasons of Sam Rock”, narrated by the multi-talented Steven P. Hamm. A man who could easily be Sam Rock if this book were to me made into a movie.

It’s been a long journey and a steep learning curve for us both, but now; “It’s Alive!” (One of my favorite lines from the old Frankenstein movie.) Check it out: https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Seasons-of-Sam-Rock-Audiobook/B08ZGV8VQF





     The only thing I’m not fond of with the coming of Spring is the “change”. (You know the one I’m talking about). Actually it happened the Sunday before Spring started, and I will miss that hour’s sleep until late Fall when we change back.

Every year there is talk about abolishing Daylight Savings Time, and every year the  motion falls by the wayside. I’m not in favor of DST. When I lived in Arizona, we didn’t change, and we survived just fine. Of course, in places like Phoenix, with days of 115° F you’d rather not save the daylight. The people navigate just fine in the cooler darkness.

But it is what it is, and we deal with it. I’ll just keep saying “But it’s only...” for a while until I get over it.

Spring also means new growth. I might even try to grow something this year, even though we are still in the midst of a drought. Surely a few herbs and flowers won’t soak up too much precious water. I’ve pretty much given up on grass. I think the gardener sprayed to kill off the mustard grass last year and killed everything else in the yard as well. So now we have a layer of dust blowing around the yard and nothing else.

Not only is it depressing to look at, it’s not good for the wiener dogs to breathe – or for us for that matter. Allergies are already getting bad this year.

The vultures came back to Roswell last month, and the parade of the smaller birds at our feeders has grown. I love to sit and watch their antics. I’ve learned so much in the past year. I know when they start making “kissy face” noises and bobbing their tails up and down it’s mating season. I know doves are not peaceful. They argue among themselves and others.  I know that male grackles feed their young – and way past the time they could fend for themselves. And if grackles peck long enough, they can break pecan shells open and eat the insides.

I love that I can sit there and watch their antics, and they don’t even pay any attention to me anymore, unless I make noise shuffling my papers or move around too much. Otherwise, we both just go about our business.

I’m afraid the squirrels have left the area or died out over the winter (although it was not a harsh winter). I’m not sure what has happened to them. We used to have as many as five at a time cavorting up and down the pecan tree. Lately, I’ve seen only one, and that one not at all in the last week or so. They will be missed.

I’m waiting for the hummingbirds to come back. There’s usually two or three that come through here when it turns warm, and they stay for most of the Summer. I try to keep a feeder with nectar filled for them. They are fascinating to watch and are very territorial. They tend to chase one another away from the feeder whether they are hungry or not.

Spring also means I can sit outside and write, so I should finish my WIPs in short order, barring other disruptions or demands on my time. I have high hopes anyway.

I’m two-thirds done with “The Secret of Raven’s Roost” which is still a working title. Also considering ”Return to Raven’s Roost”. Whatever I end up calling it, it will have “Raven’s Roost” in it.

Okay, my day is complete, I just saw my first ladybug in all the years I’ve been here. (about ten now) so I’m now sure this will be a good year.

On that note, I’ll wrap it up and let my dear husband type this. I’ll edit it tomorrow and post it on the 1st of April.

Happy Spring, everyone.

As always, I welcome your reactions and responses to any of my blogs. I love to hear from my readers. Also, here are links to my Twitter and Facebook accounts, if you care to share your thoughts with me there or look for my publication announcements:

https://twitter.com/awlasky

https://www.facebook.com/ann.wilmerlasky

Until next time, let us read and write to our heart’s content, all the while looking forward to enjoying our lives even more in the coming months. Let’s keep the faith.

Hard to believe that I have eleven books published, All are available on Amazon for your pleasure.

https://www.amazon.com/author/annwilmerlasky




I am so happy. This just popped up in my Twitter feed today: https://twitter.com/AuthorShout/status/1377582577930940420




 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited about the Sam audio book. I loved reading it, listening to it might even be better! I hope this spring/summer brings more rain to you guys in Roswell. I complain about my humidity and above average rain, but I think id rather that then super dry air, and a shout out to your bird show over there. Spring is the best.

    ReplyDelete