Friday, October 1, 2021

If Not Now, When? If Not Me, Who?

 

October 2021 Blog


Point of Reference: A Haiku

“Strike while the iron is

Hot!” is lost now on those who

Neither brand nor iron.

by Ann Wilmer-Lasky

 

This is my month for old bromides. Along with the title, I’ll add: “Sufficient unto the day are the problems thereof.” To me, that’s far more dire than: “Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today.” My personal short version of them all is: “Now! Before it’s never!”

I probably should put these all on 3x5 cards and post them all over the house, but I never seem to “get around to it”.

I’ve heard these things all my life, and until lately, I’ve just brushed them off. Now, they seem more important and pressing than ever, since my time to “do it later” is becoming more and more restricted. Seems like “I’ve got the rest of my life” isn’t that much time any more.

And in whatever time I have left, I need to publish at least half-a-dozen more novels and an equal number of poetry chapbooks. Guess I better “get cranking”! (OK, we don’t do that anymore, either.)

How about “A stitch in time”? I never could figure out the rest of it – “saves nine” didn’t make much sense to me as a child and still doesn’t all these years later.

Some of these would work well in my Sam Rock novels. That’s the time period I remember them from, but probably not in many of my other novels. I include references to them in my Haiku chapbooks more as explanations to the past than anything.

But for most, I think I should “let sleeping dogs lie”, which is still a good idea for sleeping dogs. They have a tendency to snap when they are startled.

After the Sam Rock sequel is done, I’m thinking of putting together a “Life’s Lemons and Lemonade” chapbook on life as I know it. I’m sure a lot of bromides will find their way in, in some form or other. The more I think about it, the better it sounds. There’s sure been plenty of “Life’s Lemons” these last few years to provide a lot of “Lemonade”. Not much sweetener, though. We just do the best we can.

Hoping already for a better next year, even as I hear news about there being yet another Covid variant discovered. I’m ready for an end to it all already. In the meantime, I’m going nowhere and doing very little, I’ll keep writing. It does “pass the time” or “fill it” as Norman Bates says of his taxidermy. (One of my favorite movies – watching it in the background as we speak)

Think I’ll end this now and enjoy “Psycho” while keeping in mind the immortal lyrics “Enjoy yourself, it’s later than you think.”

Until next time, read and write to your heart’s content. My eclectic collection of reading matter may take your mind off things. Enjoy.

https://www.amazon.com/author/annwilmerlasky


As always, I welcome your reactions and responses to any of my blogs. I love to hear from my readers. Also, here are links to my Twitter and Facebook accounts, if you care to share your thoughts with me there or look for the publication announcement:

https://twitter.com/awlasky

https://www.facebook.com/ann.wilmerlasky

Hopefully, next month will find us on top of this thing, but that’s what I said the last several months, and it hasn’t happened yet. However, I am still hoping...


 

 

2 comments:

  1. I love the Psycho reference, and Im glad you mentioned you were watching as you wrote. Having Psycho randomly floating in your head is a tad disturbing.🤨 Also,I don't agree that it's later then we think, I think it's earlier, but I do agree with the lemons.😕 Have a great October Ann.🎃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October wasn't so bad. Psycho is one of my favorite movies. Not quite that disturbed yet. Happy November Janell!

      Delete